26 Oct 5 Ways to Stay Motivated in Recovery
Staying motivating through out the recovery process can be a challenge, but incorporating these steps into your routine can help keep you motivated to reach your goals.
- Keep It Simple: Even though it’s good at times to look at the big picture, during recovery keep it simple by breaking long terms goals into smaller short term goals. Try and make these smaller goals as specific as you can. Creating smaller goals will help avoid feelings of failure and allow you to feel successful in your recovery more frequently.
- Affirm Yourself: Take time to think about the positive steps you’ve taken. Think about the positives traits you admire about yourself and the accomplishments you’ve made thus far. Keeping a positive self view will give you confidence during the recovery process.
- Celebrate Your Accomplishments: Pre-plan a reward for your self for each goal you meet. Maybe take a small trip, pamper yourself at the spa, or just take time for yourself. Attaching a small reward to each goal is a great way to stay motivated as long as your follow through with them.
- Creat a Network of Support: Create a network of people that support your recovery. Surrounding yourself with positive people that encourage your recovery will help limit your feelings of stress that may cause you to backslide. Seek these people out to talk to during those times that you need motivation and support.
- Maintain Structure: Keep a daily routine or structured schedule for your week that not only includes recovery activities like meetings, groups, and therapy sessions, but self-care activities that you enjoy and will look forward to through out the week. This could be a great opportunity to find new interests and hobbies.